Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Movies: The Prestige

On Sunday Linzy and I went to go see our first movie in the theater since July, and saw The Prestige. I didn't know much about the film going in, other then the trailer looked kind of cool and the paragraph plot synopsis you see on the web. As it turned out, I really enjoyed the movie.

The movie is a period piece (taking place in the late 1800s), about two men who are training to be stage magicians (think David Copperfield) together and end up having a horrible falling out and subsequently spend the rest of their lives trying to one-up each other.

For the longest time (that is, before I actually saw it) I thought the movie was actually titled "Prestige", as in the prestige that they were trying to gain by showing each other up. It turns out that the title is referring to the supposed term for the final part of a magic trick.

The film was a little hard to follow initially, partly because I had a hard time understanding what Christian Bale's character was saying (he mumbles anyway, and then having him speak with an accent didn't help matters). But eventually things settled in and I really got into the story.

The story definitely makes the movie. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento and Batman Begins), and he does a great job handling the couple big twists in the plot. I expected one of them, but the others caught me by surprise.

The acting was well done. I thought both Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman did a good job playing their characters, and the movie actually sports a number of other big names in supporting roles.

Basically, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. Since the movie is primarily focused around a couple big plot twists, I'm not sure how well it will stand up to repeated viewing. But the first time through was definitely enjoyable.

No comments: