Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sell Out

One of my favorite songs to play (very poorly, if we are talking expert difficulty) on Guitar Hero 2 is Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold. This wasn't too much of a surprise, since I already liked their latest album. In fact, as soon as I heard that Beast and the Harlot was going to be among the songs in GH2, I started listening to the guitar solos with new appreciation, dreading trying to replicate them even with five-buttons.

Anyway, the other day I happened to be reading a random article that mentioned in passing how the band had changed their sound with their latest album and were being called sell-outs by their former 'fans'.

I thought to myself, well that's pretty much a textbook example of what would get labeled as selling out.

1) They sign to a major label
2) They significantly change their sound (primarily having actual singing instead of just screaming for vocals)
3) Someone who is dangerously close to 30 likes your new album and didn't particularly care for the previous indie ones.

If that doesn't get you tagged as a sell-out, I'm not sure what does.

No comments: