Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Death-Metal Voice: Follow-up

My post yesterday about all the mail I got during my first trip to summer camp generated a bit of conversation offline. I thought I mention the more salient points here:

First off, the story came to mind a few days ago when I was driving home from the bus lot and "Born in the USA" came on the radio. Hearing it reminded me of the embarrassment of having to sing it in front of a mess hall full of my peers.

One person actually accused me of making the story up because they had never heard it before, but it is, unfortunately, a true story.

Amusingly, my parents didn't remember the incident at all. They remember sending me stuff and questioning when exactly things needed to be put in the mail, but they don't recall the aftermath.

The whole mail debacle is actually my only distinct memory of that particular year at summer camp. I remember plenty about the camp, but only things about the camp in general and specific things about other years (like when friends came with, or the year I got the flu there, etc).

I'm not bitter about the event at all, but I do find it hilarious. My parents were only trying to be good to me, it just backfired. A lot.

3 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

I actually don't remember or hadn't heard that story at all either, but I too found it hilarious. In fact, I was laughing so hard when reading it at work that someone in a neighboring office came to see what the heck was so funny. And now I am laughing again...

Bill Roehl said...

I actually woke up in the middle of the night dreaming that it happened to me and not Mr. Eck...

When I read the blog again this morning it made me ROFLMAO all over again.

It's a little disturbing that I'm dreaming about Steve Eck's blog ;-)

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, I'm not really all that surprised that you and Mom & Dad don't remember it. It probably made more of an impression on me. :)

Bill, Wow, I can't believe you were dreaming about my blog. Crazy!