Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hedonic Treadmill



As the chart's title says, this chart compares our income to our expenses, as reported by Microsoft Money. I thought it was interesting just how closely our spending tracks our income.

My expenses were relatively flat throughout my college years, but then as soon as I started working all sorts of expenses reared their heads. Then as you move to the right on the chart, it's pretty obvious that there's always something to spend the money on.

Although I am pleased that in general our spending does not exceed our income. There are a few spikes here and there obviously, and the time period when Linzy stopped working and went back to school was more of a wash, but generally it seems acceptable to me.


3 comments:

Brian said...

That's really cool. I just started using MS Money after 5 years of doing it all by hand in Excel.

Steve Eck said...

MS Money has it's faults, but it works fairly well for Linzy and I. I hope it works for you, too.

McBrideFarm said...

Good job being responsible, big brother. :)