Saturday, December 09, 2006

Spel Chek

The other night when Linzy and I were over at Shawn and Andrea's, Shawn mentioned that YouTube had won some award for 'Best invention of 2006'. We talked for a bit about how it wasn't exactly an invention, but rather just a few good twists (using flash for video delivery, lax copyright checking) on existing ideas (uploading video). At the time, I couldn't really think of another 'invention' that would have been a better pick.

I thought about it a bit that night, and eventually concluded that there aren't really any new inventions this year that impact me on a daily basis. But I did think of one innovation that has does: the automatic, background spell-checker built into Firefox 2.0.

Obviously not really an invention, but it is unbelievably handy to have. Particularly since I do all my posting right from Firefox, not in an external post writer. The built-in Blogger spell-checker is somewhat suspect anyway, and having it built into the browser lets it work even in places where there wouldn't have been a spell checker provided.

Now if only they would add in a background grammar and contextual spell-checker, my posts might start trending towards comprehensible.

2 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

I also like the built in spell checker and find that I miss it when I use my Mac (I haven't upgraded that one yet for whatever reason -- probably because I use it the least).

I generally have decent spelling but I don't exactly pay much attention when posting to my site or yours ;)

Steve Eck said...

Yeah, I haven't upgraded at work yet, but I find myself going for the tab-close button in the wrong spot occasionally.