Sunday, December 10, 2006

Time-Challenged

Normally, I'm a pretty punctual guy. In fact, probably overly punctual. But yesterday I ended up showing up a full hour late to Evan's first birthday party.

It's been a hectic week, work has been crazy, Linzy's parents decided to come down for the weekend to go car shopping, and then we had a couple of activities already on the calendar for the weekend. Anyway, yesterday I ended up working most of the morning and into the afternoon getting a performance problem resolved at work. Meanwhile Linzy left with her parents to do the car shopping.

While I tried to wrap everything up for work, get my running in, shower etc, I lost track of time. Eventually around 2:40 I called Linzy as I was taking the dog for a walk. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hey, how's it going?
Linzy: Where are you?
Me: Walking the dog, why?
Linzy: Why aren't you at Evan's party?
Me: <silence>
Linzy: It started at 2:00.
Me: Uh. What time is it now?
Linzy: Almost 3:00.
Me: Shoot.

So I ended up arriving an hour late, after cutting the dog walk short and rushing over there. I was pretty embarrassed, since that almost never happens to me. The last time I can remember something even remotely similar was when we forgot it was a time-change weekend and so were leisurely getting ready for something, only to realize we actually only had 10 minutes to get there. But even then we still made it only a few minutes late.

Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern. I don't want to be the guy no one can trust to be there on time.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

I used to be overly punctual (darn Eck genes) until I married John. Now I'm about 15 minutes late for everything (except work). And, yes, I fully blame him. :)

I'm sure Evan won't even remember that you were late for his party. ;)

Steve Eck said...

No, I don't think Evan will be holding a grudge. :)

I was more upset just that I missed roughly half of the party (1 year old parties don't go real long). Oh Well.