Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Billboards

Twice in the past four days the StarTribune has had articles about the new digital billboards being put up around the Twin Cities area.

I actually noticed one for the first time last Thursday when I drove in to work expecting to have plans downtown that night. Anyway, the billboard was definitely noticeable even though it wasn't changing the picture every 8 seconds (like apparently the ones in Minnetonka do).

In this case it wasn't the motion that was eye-catching, but rather just the fact that it is so much brighter then a normal billboard. I can only imagine what the thing looks like when it is dark out, you can probably see it for miles.

I could see how it would be distracting to drivers if it was that bright and constantly shifting.

3 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

The one in Woodbury on 494 S is quite bright and I can see it for a long distance. When it was first up I believe I saw 4 different ads at 85/90 mph. I would guess at the actual speed limit of 60 you would see their entire stretch, possibly twice.

I have learned to ignore it now -- just like everything else.

Steve Eck said...

Yeah, I suppose eventually it would be just like all the other billboards and easily ignored. And I suppose eventually they'll all be electronic.

Bill Roehl said...

Owned.