Monday, January 22, 2007

Half-Sized

While I was in the grocery store the other day, picking up some easier-to-cook meal supplies and I noticed something new. Or at least new to me, as I don't go to the grocery store very often: Half cakes.

They were regular, large double-layer cakes cut perfectly in half (as in, a half-circle), in a form-fitted plastic container, but otherwise normal cakes.

The amusing part was the price: $6.99. An identical full-sized cake: $7.99.

My hat is off to the executive who came up with selling the same amount of cake for a 75% premium, very smart. I have no doubt there are plenty of people out there worried about having 'too much' cake on hand, and so perfectly willing to buy half a cake for virtually the same price. Especially around this time of year.

Brilliant!

3 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

One can never have too much cake. Silly people.

That is pretty funny.

Scooter said...

But if you really really don't want to eat a whole cake, you've wasted a dollar. Sometimes it's difficult to give food products away - particularly half of one. You might have more luck contacting a friend in advance, and offering them half a cake for a dollar. I'm one of those people who might spend $6.99 if I was sure I wasn't going to eat a full cake and I was afraid it would just go stale before I could find someone to eat it.

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, I agree.

Scooter, I suppose, but couldn't you just buy a smaller cake in the first place?