Friday, January 05, 2007

Hardware, Rev 2

I saw on Engadget today yet more rumors of new XBox 360 hardware:

The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered.

Since I just got an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and I am one of the few people who actually has a 1080p-capable TV I would be highly disgusted if they come out with a new revision of the hardware anytime soon.

This particular rumor (HDMI+larger Hard drive) has been floating around since at least last summer, so there has to be a significant amount of truth to it. Adding HDMI to the console makes a lot of sense, given that it would eliminate one of the principle remaining bulletpoints on a 'Why the PS3 is better hardware' list.

It would be flat-out stupid to announce a new rev of the hardware two weeks after gift-buying season. Bill isn't stupid, so I expect the new hardware to arrive in the March-June timeframe.

Regardless I'll still be frustrated that my 360 will be out of date whenever it does come out.

No comments: