Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Movies: The Illusionist

On Sunday Linzy and I went over to my parent's house for dinner and then afterwards watched The Illusionist with them. I didn't know too much about the movie going in, other then that it had gotten good reviews and starred Edward Norton, whose movies I usually like.

The movie is set at the turn of the century, and is basically a love story between a member of the nobility and a commoner who becomes a magician. It doesn't sound like much, but it is enough of a plot to keep the movie going. The acting was, as expected, quite good. I also liked the look of the film; the sets and coloring were pretty cool.

My main complaint about the movie was that the 'big twist' was ridiculously straight-forward and completely obvious. That made the movie drag a bit more then if they had been more circumspect with things.

Overall I thought the movie was good, although not something I would necessarily want to watch again. In the battle of the 'movies about turn-of-the-century-magicians' The Prestige wins handily.

1 comment:

Andrea A said...

Circumspect-good word!