Thursday, February 08, 2007

Electricty Usage

I continue to be mystified with the amount of energy we use at the house. According to our latest bill we used an average of 22.4 KWH per day last month. That's over 5 KWH more per day then last January, and more electricity then we used during any single month in 2004, although it is only 2KWH per day more then January 2005.

As far as I can tell, we aren't doing all that much different then we have for the last few years. We keep the house a little warmer during the day (since Linzy is home), but we have gas heat so the electric bill should only increase in relation to the increased time the house fan is on. We try and keep the lights off in rooms we aren't in, turn the computer off at night, don't use the giant power-sucking TV all that often, etc.

The really strange thing is that it doesn't seem to matter what we do, the electricity usage fluctuates randomly regardless. For example, our usage was increasing in 2004, but then during 2005 it actually declined year-over-year every month except two summer months (which looking back coincides with an extra-hot summer). But then the following year it jumped back up by even more, except the summer months. Then we were holding fairly steady in 2006, until this year when there was a huge jump.

Who knows.

4 comments:

Brian said...

That's very interesting. I never really paid much attention, but thought I would take a look at my latest bill. My average for the past year has been only 9.7 KWH per day, which is down from 12.6 KWH last year.

Granted my house is a lot smaller then yours, but I also keep my computer on all the time. Crazy.

Steve Eck said...

Yeah, you also have gravity-based heat and no one home during the day.

But I'm still pretty sure Linzy and I are using more electricity then we should need to, I just can't seem to figure out what is wasting it.

McBrideFarm said...

Are you doing more laundry or using the oven/range more? Probably not, but that was the first thought I had. Weird.

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, we tend to do more laundry in the winter, just because the clothes are more bulky, but I haven't noticed us doing any more laundry then normal.

Along the same lines I was thinking it could be the 4+ hours a week I run the treadmill+tv+xbox360 (dvd player), but I was doing that last winter too although with a different TV and dvd player, and I was using the same TV in Decmeber.

Basically it's a mystery.