Saturday, February 24, 2007

English Mansion

I was reading the paper this morning and noticed an article on the front page of the "Homes' section about the old Victorian house that was used in the opening credits of the Mary Tyler Moore show. The house is up for sale (for a cool $3.62 million) and the article was talking about all the restoration that was done by the current owner.

The strange thing was that the current owner is Don Gerlach, who happened to be one of my High School English teachers, as well as the school's quiz bowl coach. It seemed pretty random to see his name associated with owning a gigantic mansion in Minneapolis.

4 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

What's his wife do because he couldn't afford that house on his salary.

Andrea A. said...

Don't be so quick to assume that. I've heard there is a "teacher lifestyle" which lends itself to not spending therefore you can save more because people don't expect you to have much. Makes sense to me...

Steve Eck said...

I assumed (though perhaps incorrectly Andrea), that his wife did something fairly lucrative. But I guess I don't know.

It seems like it would be difficult to afford a second house for more then a million dollars plus cover the cost of the renovations even with a silent partner on a teachers salary. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding how much money they are making at Burnsville High School. :)

Andrea A. said...

He could have bought it and flipped it I suppose. Or inherited money... I guess we'll never know.