Saturday, March 03, 2007

Rules, Schmules

I was at the gas station today filling up my car, as well as the snowblower gas can (with all the snow I went through a surprising amount). While I was waiting for the process to finish, I heard a car pull up behind me. Then I heard the car door open and shut, and someone getting the pump ready. What I didn't hear was the engine shut off.

Turning around, it became apparent that the lady had no intention of turning her car off. That's not that uncommon around here, if the weather is very cold, but today the temperature was a sunny 33 so there wasn't really much reason not to turn off your car.

I shrugged, and it was time to switch to filling the gas can anyway, so I went back to minding my own business. After a bit, I was all down and working on putting everything away when I happened to look back at lady-with-the-running-car. She was milling around the area, smoking a cigarette!

Between turning off your car and not smoking, that's like rule #1 and 2 on the list of instructions for pumping gas.

I left shortly there after so I didn't see if she actually put her cigarette out by squirting gas on it, but if tomorrow there is a story about a gas station going up in flames, you know why.

2 comments:

Dan Phillips said...

That is insane. The car left running alone would have freaked me out.

Steve Eck said...

I have to admit that I was thinking "Woah, I need to get out of here" when I saw the cigarette smoking thrown into the mix too. I have no desire to die in a fiery gas explosion.