Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Linzy's New TV

Back in November, I posted about going to Best Buy in the middle of the night on the day after Thanksgiving to stand in line for the doorbuster deals. At the time, I focused on trying to get a cheap PC for Linzy's parents for Christmas, which was true. However, I was also there for another item, a new LCD TV for Linzy.

This was a top-secret item, as I wanted to surprise Linzy with it in addition to her normal presents. Luckily the TVs weren't in nearly as much demand as the cheap PCs were, so a number of them made it back to my section of the line. Including the cheap-ish one that I had my eye on.

I had been thinking about trying to get Linzy a new TV for the bedroom for quite a while. We had a normal TV in that room that she got as a present a few years back. But it had developed a few issues over time. The most aggravating of which was that it randomly turns on the Spanish closed captions when in use. Obviously you could turn them back off, but it was annoying and they were liable to just turn right back on afterwards. In addition, the remote buttons were starting to not work very well anymore, and the TV took up a lot of valuable room on top of a dresser.

In short, it was time for a new TV. And, since that is the TV Linzy uses more then any other on a daily basis, I didn't think it was unreasonable to replace it with a larger, wide-screen TV that could be mounted on the wall.

Thus there I was at 2:30 am on 11/23, waiting in the freezing cold, hoping for a ticket to buy a TV (in addition to a ticket for a computer). Then the problem became trying to keep it hidden from Linzy to preserve the surprise. I snuck out later on the day after Thanksgiving to pick it up, and then stashed it in the shower/tub downstairs for a week or so before moving it to a friend's house. Then once Christmas got closer, I got it back and returned it to my hiding place.



Since Linzy set the bar high last year with the double-switcheroo for the XBox 360, the pressure was on to try something similarly surprising for her. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to wrap the remote separately as if it was just a normal present, "A new remote for upstairs", which she assumed was just a random universal remote to replace the fading old one. Then, after we were done opening everything, I said I was going downstairs to get the rest of the stuff for the remote, and brought up the TV.

The whole thing worked out like I had planned, and Linzy was completely surprised. The TV even turned out to be pretty nice (which was somewhat up in the air since I was primarily shopping on price). We get a few HD channels upstairs even without a receiver, which is nice.



All-in-all, I was really happy with how everything turned out. It was well worth standing in the cold for an hour.

No comments: