Thursday, February 28, 2008

Three Hundred

The other day, one of my co-workers and I were talking about diets, specifically as they relate to wrestling (the high school/college/Olympic kind, not the spandex and roids kind). Anyway, he mentioned an acquaintance whose regular weight was 120 pounds and he needed to get down to 108. His diet limited him to 300 calories per day.

I'll assume that was net calories, but it is still completely ridiculous. For reference, one McDonald's cheeseburger is 300 calories. Not the Quarter Pounder, that is 410, but the little cheeseburger. Now granted you shouldn't be eating McDonalds if you are on a diet, but it helps show how silly limiting yourself to 300 calories a day is.

I knew several wrestlers when I was a kid who did similarly stupid diets in order to make a specific weight class, so I think it is pretty common. But I hadn't heard of someone trying to go as low as 300. My co-worker said the dieter did eventually make his weight, but got pretty consistently blown-out the first few matches because he was so weak from lack of food.

Probably not quite what he was probably envisioning when he embarked on the plan.

1 comment:

Bill Roehl said...

I eat about 1200 calories a day to maintain my current weight. I can't believe that I used to eat 4 to 6x that (on a normal day).

Now, granted, I don't need to lose weight anymore, but I just can't see sustaining and training on 300 calories.

I'm never starving during the day but I can't imagine eating anything that would keep you with enough energy to train, perform and be awake eating that little food.