Wednesday, May 14, 2008

New Ways to Spend Money

I didn't explicitly mention it, but a little over a week ago what I was at Best Buy to purchase was a new digital SLR camera. Specifically I bought a Nikon D300 along with the 18-200mm VR zoom lens.

The camera and lens by themselves are expensive, of course, but a dSLR in general opened up a whole new world of expensive accessories and stuff to buy. Some of it was expected, others caught me a little off-guard.

Even something as simple as a memory card became an exercise in evaluation, since RAW images at full resolution and bit-depth can be large and suddenly the speed of the memory card can be important. Let alone things like bags, filters or heaven-forbid additional lenses, where there are more choices then I could possibly research effectively.

Even the instruction manual was oversized, clocking in at 408 pages. The Quick Start guide was a comparatively svelte 68 pages, but didn't really cover anything other then the buttons on the camera in broad terms.

Still, I'm enjoying the camera and the opportunity to learn more about photography. The speed of the camera is lots of fun, and it seems to do an admirable job even at relatively high ISO settings. That makes it much easier to use indoors and in low light. I have no doubt that I will be just as capable of taking poor pictures with this camera as before, but I'm making an effort to understand how to take advantage of its crazy-long feature list.

3 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

Very cool! That must be fun to play with. I think I would be overwhelmed, though.

Moe said...

Very cool. Congrats. I'll have to let you borrow my 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens sometime, it's the best thing ever.

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, That's what full-auto mode is for. :)

Moe, A 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 prime was actually on my short list for the first additional lens I am going to pick up. Gotta have something fast for low light after all.