Monday, May 26, 2008

Recent Media - 5/26

Explanation - Previous Lists

Movies: Iron Man & Indiana Jones - I mentioned off-handedly earlier this week that Linzy and I went to see Iron Man last weekend (the 18th). Linzy really liked the film, and I thought it was pretty good as well. I couldn't exactly put my finger on what it was that stopped it from being fantastic in my book, but it was definitely entertaining. I enjoyed the special effects, some of the humor (other parts just annoyed me) and surprisingly I even liked Robert Downey Jr. Which is not typical Iron Man was well worth seeing in the theater, certainly.

Then on Saturday of this weekend Linzy and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull Kingdom. I was disappointed. I am something of an Indiana Jones fan, not to the extent where I would argue Temple of Doom is anything but crap, but I definitely enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade. I had been trying to keep my expectations low for the new film, knowing full well that George Lucas would be doing his best to ruin things for me.

Unfortunately that wasn't enough, as the movie was just not very good. I have numerous complaints, but among the non-spoiler ones: Tarzan and the whole nature of the crystal skull. I enjoyed the Indiana Jones aspects of the movie, the fighting in vehicles (though that was done a few too many times for my tastes), old Harrison Ford acting more like Sean Connery's character in the Last Crusade, and the fact that it was Indiana Jones! But the story was crap and I just couldn't get over that. I kept expecting the skull to rip someone's heart out of their chest, and serve them monkey brains.

TV: None

Books: Memories of Ice - I'm continuing to enjoy this book, although it is taking forever to get through. At this pace I have significant concerns about what I will be bringing with for June travel season starting next week, as the hard cover is much, much too large to bring with. Hopefully I'll be able to power through the second half of the book (350+ pages) by next Monday.

Video Games (Portable): Final Fantasy V Advance - I spent several days worth of bus rides working to get to a point where I had a particular difficult-to-acquire spell and could train. Then I spent three or four consecutive bus rides training with the new spell and hopefully finally have my characters up to a point where they are competitive again. Because they were woefully underpowered for the last few dungeons and it made things painful.

Video Games (Home): Grand Theft Auto 4 - Linzy's parent's got me GTA4 for my birthday (an early gift since we were up there last weekend and won't be back prior to my birthday). I played it for about 30 minutes last night and had a pretty good time. The graphics are definitely a significant step-up from the previous games, and the city feels quite gritty. I'm not very far into the game, but up to this point the driving controls feel significant different then past games. In particular the cars feel awfully 'heavy', and so I spend a lot of time slamming into things or backing up to make turns I couldn't slow down enough for. But it seems like a fun game.

No comments: