Friday, May 09, 2008

Recent Media - 5/9

Explanation - Previous Lists

TV: Nip/Tuck Season 3 & The Wire: Season 1 - I watched the season finale for Nip/Tuck last weekend and thought it was pretty good if a bit drawn out and predictable. They did throw in a crazy twist I wasn't expecting, but it was pretty random so there wasn't really any way you could expect it until just before they revealed it.

Linzy and I are still also working our way through the first season of the Wire, and the last few episodes have been quite good. We have two more left for the season and it has definitely gotten interesting.

Books: Memories of Ice - I've been so busy the last week I've only been getting 5-10 minutes of reading in before I end up falling asleep so this book has been slow going. However that slow start shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the book which, if anything, started out much more directly then previous books in the series. That probably has to do with the fact that we are finally dealing with characters who were already introduced, so some of the background setting work is not necessary. This book is also the first to finally shed some light on things that are referenced obscurely in previous books, so that has been satisfying.

Movies: None - We were thinking about trying to see Iron Man, but with the weekend plans getting all screwed up we never got a chance.

Video Games (Portable): Final Fantasy V Advance - I've made some more progress in the game and am probably roughly 40% complete with the main quest, although the difficulty level just keeps ramping up. Clearly I'm not up on how to balance my party and really take advantage of the many, many jobs and abilities because my party is constantly not well suited for the long dungeon runs required. During one boss fight, on my fourth attempt with different combinations of characters I managed to win with three of my four party members running out of MP, getting killed and the last guy being one hit from death before landing the killing blow. Victory, surely, but not by much.

Video Games (Home): None

No comments: