Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bookshelf Update #2

IMG_0561This weekend, my Dad and I spent two days actually working on the built-in bookcases for my guest bedroom, rather then just preparing to do so.

Saturday was all about finalizing the plans (which were admittedly a bit vague) and cutting support pieces. We chopped up the 4x8 sheets of oak-veneered plywood into tops, sides, bottoms and 21 shelves. It was a lot of cutting and absolutely no assembly.

Today we spent most of the time doing all the rest of the work necessary to finish the support pieces. That included trimming the top pieces to be shorter, putting dados in the tops, bottoms, and backs, cutting notches for the top face frame, and drilling the shelf holes.

IMG_0570

Everything was going perfectly according to plan up to that point. The next step was to finish drilling the shelf holes and then start putting things together and cutting the back panels. Until I was looking at one of the sides I had just drilled holes into, trying to figure out what its partner would look like, and realized that we had inadvertently cut five of the side supports incorrectly.

The wheels had come off when we cut the notches in the top of the sides, and we hadn't considered that only one side of the plywood was 'A' veneer. With a dado on the back, since we put notches in the same spot they all became 'left' sides with no 'right' sides. It was a stupid and expensive mistake, since five were wrong and we only had enough leftover wood to make one new support. So I'll have to buy an entire additional 4x8 sheet.

IMG_0571

With that, our bookcase construction efforts came to a halt. Instead we spent some time figuring out the best way to make a crown molding jut-out, and after some trial and error came up with a pretty good process. We managed to cut all five pieces that make up a jut-out and they looked pretty good. I'm excited to see what they will look like from the real crown molding (which is another inch wider), and when actually glued instead of just being held in place.

IMG_0573

It will be a few weeks before we can get back to working on the shelves some more, which is OK since I have to get the extra wood first anyways. We made a bit more progress then I was expecting, even considering the setback, and it was a lot of fun working on them with my dad.

[ Pictures from the past two days were added to the set (with some comments). ]

1 comment:

McBrideFarm said...

Looks good so far!