Tuesday, August 26, 2008

State Fair 2008

State Fair 2008-37Today I took a day off work so that Linzy and I could go to the State Fair together. I wasn't able to go last year, while Linzy went twice with others, so I was looking forward to being able to attend.

The weather was gorgeous, and while the crowds were more then I was expecting for a random Tuesday, they were much, much less then a Friday or weekend. We hit most of the high points at the fair, animals, schlocky vendor booths, free stuff, exhibits, and food.

The food turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. The best thing I ate was probably a twist cone, followed closely by half a piece of Vescio's garlic bread. I tried one new thing (for me), a Gizmo. It was a ground sausage, tomato sauce and cheese sandwich on an Italian roll. That sounded really good but turned out to be not so good and definitely not worth the ridiculous $7 they charged for it. Other things I ate included a sub-par bag of mini-donuts, some Sweet Martha's cookies, a few bites of a corn dog and some fresh french fries.

State Fair 2008-6

We didn't see anything too out of the ordinary at the booths. The Eco house was interesting, and we watched some dog obedience training demonstrations which was amusing when the young dogs were totally not doing what they were supposed to be doing. Since I had the same experience with Pippen, I could sympathize with their pain. I was also all excited when I saw a Rock Band tent, hoping that it would be a demo of Rock Band 2, but instead it was just regular Rock Band so I didn't stand in line to be embarrassed by all of the 14 year olds.

It was an enjoyable time and a nice way to spend a random day off of work just hanging out with Linzy.

[ The camera battery ran out an hour or two into the visit, but I uploaded the pictures I was able to take. ]

2 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

We had a Gizmo on our first visit to the fair in 2003 and I agree, not so good.

Scooter said...

Watching the 4H kids play rock band was painful. The folks on Attack of the Show have stressed several times that it's simply not a great spectator event.