Thursday, September 04, 2008

Battlestar Galactica Boardgame

DSC_2478Today when I got home from work, Linzy had a present sitting on the kitchen table: A Battlestar Galactica boardgame. From 1978.

Now, I had been telling her about the new Battlestar Galactica boardgame that is out (and/or coming out soon). But I didn't know there was an original game from the series back when Starbuck was still a man.

Linzy knew full well that I wasn't really interested in the old game, but since it was for sale at a garage sale she picked it up for me anyways. Unfortunately, according to the ratings on boardgamegeek it might not have been worth even those two dollars.

But I'll still probably give it a try, just to see how it plays. Plus it is amusing in its relative barebones flavor, with a few cardboard pieces, a couple dozen cards (of which there are only four varieties) and one plastic Cylon raider.

The complete contents of the box.
DSC_2479

The cards are amusing, unfortunately there are only three types of cards in the 'command' deck.
DSC_2485

The Colonial Vipers and Cylon Raider (the tie-fighter-looking thing in the foreground)
DSC_2484

The box advertises itself as 'the game based on the dazzling new series on ABC'. Should be amusing to try out. Best stop by for a test play soon before I get too much practicing in.

1 comment:

Brenden said...

Dude! I had that game as a kid. And I'm pretty sure I remember it being one of the best games EVAR. Though I'm certain we didn't fully understand the rules and my brothers probably didn't want to play it as much as I did.

Of course, time and maturity (and the modern Euro-style board game) may have conspired to make my opinion of the game a little lower.

Have fun! I'll totally play it with you the next time I'm over.

Awesome purchase Linzy!