Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Goodbye Summer

This year the transition from summer to fall has been rather abrupt. It seems like the timer ran out on summer on Labor Day and since then it's been relatively cold, windy, and generally fall-like.

Tonight that was readily apparent when I mowed the lawn for two reasons:

  • I wore jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt and didn't regret the extra layers one bit.
  • The sun set before I finished the backyard.

On the plus side, I got the entertainment of watching the sunset and the entire sky go shades of pink as I went back and forth across the backyard. And I was comfy in my choice of apparel despite the wind.

But it was sort of depressing to realize that summer is indeed over.

3 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

I've definitely noticed the fading daylight both morning and evenings here too. I hate that part of fall. This morning when the alarm went off I swore I had to have mis-set it because it was so dark. Nope. :(

I would welcome some fall temps, though. We are in the high 80s all week. Yuck. I wilt in this weather!

Anonymous said...

I shed several tears yesterday morning when the temps dipped below 50. Thankfully we are in OH this weekend where it's still summer :)

Steve Eck said...

We had muggy upper 80s all weekend, and then on Monday night/Tuesday morning a cold front moved in and we've been in the mid-sixties all week. Much more pleasant then sticky 80s.

Though I'm not such a fan of wearing a jacket when I take Pippen for a walk in the morning.