Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grammar

The other day I had to put together a presentation in a hurry at work, and didn't really proof-read it particularly well (or you might say at all). That shoddy approach to quality assurance resulted in the phrase "Packagable" slipping into the final (and only) draft. My English-major co-worker was nice enough to make sure I was well aware that wasn't a real word.

I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I tossed in a description like 'packagable', but at least it was in something thrown together. On the other hand I've been thoroughly annoyed with one of the songs on the new Metallica album where the chorus goes over and over "What don't kill you make you more strong".

That was the best they could come up with, after 5 years and who knows how many millions of dollars sunk into a comeback album? Really? Did they listen to it at all?

Apparently I've become a grammar curmudgeon in my old age.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

How hard would it have been for them to toss an "s" onto the end of "make"? That at least would have made it sound like something someone might possibly say (in some strange world), instead of just nonsense. Weird.

Steve Eck said...

The worst part is that now that it has caught my ear, I can't help but get annoyed every time I hear it. And since it is the 'hook', it's repeated over and over during every chorus. Ugh!