Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Bookshelves - Complete

DSC_2519Today the bookshelves were officially assembled. I finished the varnishing this weekend, as I mentioned on Sunday, but it wasn't until today that they were dry and ready to be put together.

I am obviously biased, but I really think they look good and am quite proud of what my Dad and I put together. The shelves really look nice in the spare bedroom, and the three coats of varnish make everything glassy-smooth.

Now just comes to work to figure out the best arrangement of shelves and stuff on the shelves. Linzy and I spent an hour or so collecting books and knickknacks from various parts of the house and putting them on the shelves. There is still some work to do, but putting stuff on the shelves will be much more pleasant then sanding 21 shelves (of which we ended up using 18).

Unfortunately I still have a minor bit of touch-up painting to do before the room can be put together, but for all practical purposes the project is complete. And even though it was enjoyable and produced a satisfying result, I'm looking forward to spending my weekends doing something else.

Before
Bookshelves-7

The plans
Bookshelves-10

The bookshelves in place
DSC_2518

The shelves filled with an assortment of stuff (still in progress)
DSC_2527

Pictures of the entire two-month saga

All the updates:


3 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

They look great! Good work. :)

Bill Roehl said...

Beautiful Steve! Nice job.

Steve Eck said...

Thanks!