Thursday, October 02, 2008

Two Cameras

I'm decidedly un-excited about the new Nintendo DSi. I enjoy my DS immensely, playing it virtually every day on the bus to and from work. It replaced a GBA which was equally enjoyable. I'm just not convinced that adding two cameras and slightly increasing the screen-size is anything that results in the device being significantly better, more fun, etc.

Certainly it is possible developers will find ways to utilize the new hardware, in the same way they've found ways to take advantage of dual screens and/or touch screens. The trouble is with approximately six quad-zillion regular DSes in circulation, are they going to be cranking out the games for a brand new device with much less penetration?

On the other hand, when my DS Lite gives up the ghost, I don't see any reason not to replace it with a DSi.

No comments: