Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Voting

I foolishly went to vote prior to going to work this morning. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, showing up right as the polls open. Normally I try to go a little later in the morning after all the other early-rising Minnesotans try to get their voting out of the way early. But today for a variety of uninteresting reasons I couldn't go in to work that much later and so tried to go vote early.

The line was out the door as probably 150 people had the same plan as me, so I spent about an hour waiting to vote. The strange thing about the line was that once we got inside the church the line was theoretically supposed to split into two lines: one for A-L, and one for M-Z.

Everyone was waiting in the A-L line, while the M-Z line was literally walk-up. 50 people stood (sort of) patiently waiting for their turn to check in and periodically a random person would go to the M-Z table. I was talking with a co-worker today about his polling location where the A-D line had the same issue.

I wonder how much was due to an uneven distribution of last names, and how much was due to people not realizing that they could just jump ahead and go right in the M-Z line.

No comments: