Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Delay

Two weeks ago tomorrow, we ordered the new computer. With the holiday, weekends, and the normal business plan of holding money in advance of delivery for as long as possible, the actual ship date of the computer wasn't until today. I've been faithfully keeping an eye on it, hoping that through some miracle the computer would arrive early, or at least on time.

Today I got an e-mail in my inbox from the company, which I happily assumed was a notice the stupid thing finally shipped. Except it wasn't. It was actually a notice saying they had encountered 'unexpected delays' and were delaying the shipment a full week to 12/16. Meaning, of course, that there is a very real chance it won't even arrive prior to Christmas. Pushing the whole process out to more then a month.

Note that this was communicated mid-day on the day that it was supposed to ship. What kind of 'unexpected delay', that you don't know about ahead of time, causes you to slip your delivery by an entire week. Not a day, or two, but a week. And you didn't know about it until the day the computer was supposedly fully assembled and on a pallet ready to go out?

I can't imagine the conversation my boss and I would have at work if my team missed a delivery to a customer by a week and I didn't tell anyone until the day it was supposed to be done. "Oh, by the way, remember how I said we'd be done on Tuesday...yeah...well..I must have meant next Tuesday".

The most frustrating part is surprisingly critical nature of the computer that is currently broken. Over the past few weeks, we've discovered just how many things that, and only that, computer was capable of doing. For example, it happened to be the only place where we have addresses and the list for Christmas Cards. Which is only needed once a year, but that happens to be right now. Not to mention that even if we had Christmas Card addresses, we don't have a word processor or a printer to write a holiday letter. It is also the place where all of the passwords were stored (in Password Safe), meaning that for all the important financial sites with unique generated passwords, we are now more-or-less locked out.

All of which would have been tolerable, had said computer shipped when it was supposed to, so that we had time prior to the holidays to finish up our various tasks. I guess I should have just forgone the tremendous deal and just bought some parts from NewEgg, or been a slave to marketing and paid twice as much for half the computer and ordered a Mac.

[ Amusingly, the morning after I wrote this I got an e-mail saying the computer had shipped. So I guess the unexpected delay was just a day, which is a bit more understandable. ]

No comments: