Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Netflix Streaming

I've mentioned before how much I like Netflix streaming to my XBox 360. Over the past two months since it has come out, we've watched at least twice as many things via streaming as we have from Netflix DVDs. If the instant watch selection was better (and that wouldn't be hard), I almost certainly would have watched a few more things via streaming and less via a DVD.

Since I am a sucker for streamable video, especially when Linzy is out of town and the only DVDs at the house are things she wanted to see too, I end up watching some pretty random stuff just because it is streamable. For example, last night I watched Man on a Wire, a documentary about a guy who tightrope walked between the World Trade Center towers. And a few weeks ago I watched Breaking Away, a 70s coming-of-age movie that I thought was a bicycling movie (and it was...kind of). There have been several other oddball choices that make the cut to the queue merely on account of their "Save to my Instant Queue" button.

One thing I do think is interesting is that as far as I can recall I have yet to successfully watch anything in HD all the way through. The system invariably detects my network connection as being HD capable, but then some unpredictable amount of time after the video starts going it stutters and then readjusts itself (to what I assume is non-HD). And everything is fine after that. I would imagine that is some sort of throttling being done by Charter, which is disappointing but since even the non-HD stuff is tolerable I guess it is OK.

I suppose it is inevitable that eventually they will scale back on the unlimited streaming and start offering plans with reduced simultaneous DVDs and broader streaming selection. Which will be a sad day, because I'll totally end up signing up.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

I love "Breaking Away"! Ha! I am such a dork. I made John watch it a few months ago...he actually thought it was pretty good too. :)

Steve Eck said...

Well, it wasn't bad necessarily, just not what I was expecting. And it was a little slow moving.

But I've seen far, far worse. :)