Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Blockbuster

I saw on the financial sites today that Blockbuster is likely going to file for bankruptcy. No real surprise there, I guess, but I still thought it was worthy of note. Getting squeezed on both ends by Netflix and Redbox is not good for an expensive brick-and-mortar business model.

Gerard's parents owned a video store way back in the day. It was near our house and so my family rented there (this was way back when you bought memberships that came with X amount of rentals). Because Gerard and I were about the same age (3?) my parents and his parents would frequently when they came into the store. Years later in high school I randomly met Gerard through Dan and both sets of parents still remembered the other from the video store.

Long before that 'small world' occurrence, of course, the video store was put out of business by Blockbuster and the other chain video rental places. There was no question the chains were better in terms of larger selection, lower prices, etc. But it obviously impacted Gerard's family in a big way, and there wasn't really any way they could compete.

I guess the shoe is on the other foot now.

No comments: