Monday, March 16, 2009

Shrinking

I saw in the news recently that the Washington Post was reducing the number of sections in their daily paper by combining the business section with the front page section, and reducing the amount of stock charts they publish. There were various reasons presented, but they never specifically named the obvious reasoning: cost-cutting.

The Star Tribune has been doing similar things, folding the classifieds into the business section, folding the metro section into the front page sometimes, etc. Today, for example the paper was surprisingly thick due to NCAA basketball coverage, but it was still only 4 sections and 54 pages (versus the claimed 'average' of 82 pages). With out the NCAA coverage, I would guess it would have been closer to 40 pages.

This has been a steady trend for quite a while. I'm fully expecting one morning to walk out to mailbox to find a single sheet of paper in the newspaper tube saying "News happened - See Internet".

Unfortunately, until I figure out a safe way to eat my morning cereal in front of the computer, I'll continue to want something to read at the kitchen table in the morning.

[ As a follow-up, today's paper was around 40-some pages and much more typical in size. ]

[ As a second follow-up, apparently I was quite timely as the Seattle Post-Intelligencer just announced they are going paperless. ]

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

Soon you will have a paper the size and depth of our esteemed Valley News. :P

Becky Eck said...

I hope the inevitable doesn't happen. I guess I'm old fashioned and just like the feel of the paper, but Sarah is right, the StarTribune is beginning to feel like the Valley News!

Mom