Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Completion Percentage

Today I finished Chrono Trigger DS, which I had been working on for several months. The game is basically identical to the SNES version from long ago which is both good and bad. Good because Chrono Trigger was a classic. Bad because it's identical.

I did enjoy replaying the game quite a bit, since I haven't played it since college. Unfortunately I got bogged down at the end finishing a new bonus area that was added to the game for the DS version, only to find out that it was monotonous and unimaginative. You basically warped back and forth between two time periods, bringing items forward/back through the same areas again and again. Obviously at a high level that is what Chrono Trigger is all about, but this particular attempt at adding content seemed tired and unimaginative. Yet I still felt compelled to play through since it was part of what was 'new' in the game.

Luckily the rest of the game was just as good as I remembered it being, including the ultra-marathon end boss fight, which, when you include all of the pre-bosses in the Black Omen ended up taking over two complete bus rides to win.

After well over a year of playing nothing but RPGs, I'm planning to go back now and replay New Super Mario Brothers from scratch, for a bit more action-oriented gameplay.

No comments: