Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Recycling

Tonight I was working on cleaning the house up and one of the things that has been cluttering up the office for the past six months is my old, mostly working monitor. I had been meaning to try to sell it for cheap on Craigslist, but that seems like a lot of hassle for $10.

So, given that it is a Dell, the backup plan was to use their free recycling program to send it to them. The program seems pretty good, but it requires shipping the monitor which is a 19 inch CRT Trinitron, so it weighs a million pounds and is quite large. And I don't have a box that is anywhere near big enough that I would want to try to pack the monitor safely in. Other then requiring a box, the program seems pretty decent, including free shipping and pickup by FedEx.

Being lazy though, I don't want to have to go through getting a box, so I think I will go to Best Buy instead. They will also take the monitor for $10 if I bring it in to any store. You also get a $10 gift card in return, which I'm sure Linzy will confiscate and add to her laptop fund. But $10 seems well worth not having to do anything except drive the monitor a few miles up the road.

It is much easier to get rid of electronics now then it used to be. I still wish someone would take hard drives and shred them for you. No one wants that kind of liability though, I suppose.

2 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

It used to be even easier before Dakota County stopped taking electronics for no charge :(

Steve Eck said...

Yep