Monday, May 25, 2009

Some Day I'll Finish That Project

DSC_3577Three years ago, shortly after Shawn and I finished staining my deck (myself, as opposed to paying someone else to do it) one of my neighbors started dismantling his deck. Actually what he did was remove all traces of railing from the deck (which is about 6-8 feet off the ground).

At first I assumed it was some sort of plan to make refinishing it easier, so that he could work on the railings without a ladder and then quickly stain the deck flooring. But then the weeks started going by and there was no further progress. Then the weeks became months and then seasons.

Every time we have people over, inevitably multiple people ask what my neighbor is doing with his death trap of a deck. And, of course, I have no idea. This is always followed up with a 'is that code?' question. Having a 6 foot tall deck with no railing, while I can't be sure, I'm pretty sure is not up to code. But since no one has ratted him out to either the city of his home insurance company, years went by without any sort of effort to put the railing back.

Until this weekend when he inexplicably started a project to remove all of the floor boards from the deck. He then took every single board into the backyard, chopped them up into three foot pieces, and tossed them haphazardly into a pile in the middle of his lawn.

I can only assume that he's currently enacting phase 2 of his master plan to ensure someone plummets to serious injury from his deck, as apparently merely lacking railing was not enough. But a deck without floorboards, now that's virtually guaranteed to cause someone injury.

In the event that he's not looking to cripple his children or his visitors, I assume he is challenging my other neighbor's one-full-year for redoing a single flower bed record for slowest home improvement project and is replacing the cedar deck with some sort of maintenance-free decking. Not that he really did any maintenance on the old deck.

No comments: