Thursday, June 04, 2009

Cavity

Tomorrow morning I have to go in and get a very small cavity filled in one of my teeth. This is notable since it is the first time in probably 10 years or more that I have had a cavity. That span isn't really because I take particularly good care of my teeth, since I don't.

I brush my teeth twice a day every day, but that is about it. I don't floss, ever. For probably the last 13 years I've been going to the dentist only once a year rather then the recommended twice a year. But for whatever reason I've been lucky enough not to get cavities (I've had two in my life, and one was in a tooth as it came in, so hardly my fault).

Still somehow I managed to get a new small cavity, which was the subject of some debate between the hygienist and the dentist as to whether it actually was a cavity since it was really small, and didn't hurt when they jabbed it repeatedly with a poker. The end compromise (between them) was that they'd fill it just to be safe.

Hopefully that means minimal pain and suffering tomorrow morning, but we will see. I don't really hold out much hope of that.

1 comment:

McBrideFarm said...

We definitely got lucky with genetics when it comes to our teeth. I've only had one cavity (not to mention our lack of orthodontia), and it was after I hadn't been to the dentist for 2 years (whoops!). It was also of the really-small variety, and I was quite skeptical it was actually a cavity, since it also didn't hurt me and the same debate took place between the hygenist and dentist about it. Then when I went to have it filled and the hygenist sat me down and looked at my x-rays, she was like, "Now....which tooth is it?" Uh, that's your job, lady! I was sure they'd be drilling/filling the wrong tooth! I think they got it, though.

That was a long way to say, thanks, Mom and Dad, for the good teeth! :)