Monday, July 20, 2009

Books: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Several months ago at the garage sale, Brenden was selling some books and after taking a look at them I ended up taking them instead. They weren't really the normal kind of books that I read, but they seemed interesting.

Among the selections was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I have never read. I really didn't even know that much about the story as my only exposure was the old ride at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Which, other the squid attacks, didn't really cover anything memorable.

The book ended up to be interesting, though not as good as I was expecting. Despite thinking that I already knew the storyline, I didn't really know anything about how things happened or even what happened.

I can completely understand why the book is a classic. While it wasn't necessarily a brilliantly written book, back in the late 1800s the thought of having a submarine and walking on the bottom of the ocean would have been pretty mind boggling. And even though that has become commonplace it was still interesting to read about and imagine how crazy it probably sounded over one hundred years ago.

No comments: