Sunday, August 16, 2009

Boxes

Last weekend Linzy and I finally started packing some of the house up. It went far faster then we were expecting, at least partially because we had already packed about half our possessions back in June. We spent a few hours and ended up getting a significant amount of the stuff that we don't use regularly packed up.

The biggest challenge turned out to be not the labor, but finding boxes that will work. When I originally saw the collection of boxes we purchased, I was afraid there were going to be too many small boxes and not enough larger boxes for odd-sized things. After an hour or two, it became obvious that the problem would actually be the reverse. Not enough small boxes.

The problem with the larger boxes is that when I pack them full, you can't pick them up anymore. But on the other hand if you leave them only half-full, then they get crushed in a stack. The end result is that we have about 40 useful-sized boxes and 40 boxes that are way, way too big for me to use.

I guess if I was willing to spend twice as much time trying to deduce the correct combination of feather-light and lead-weight items to fill a large box but not make it overly heavy, they could be used. But I have a feeling as the move date roars up on us, that kind of time investment will become less attractive then buying a bunch of more appropriately sized boxes.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I could bring all kinds of nicely sized boxes for you from work quite easily if you need some.

Shawn said...

Put the smaller boxes inside the larger boxes, as long as you can lift them. Then each large box contents are protected by the smaller boxes, and you have less overall boxes to use.

Overkill? Maybe. Just an idea. :-)

Shawn said...

I mean less overall boxes to "move", not "use"...

Steve Eck said...

Robin, Some nicely sized boxes would be awesome. Thanks!

Shawn, That might make the larger boxes useful, but it doesn't really solve the problem of not having enough small boxes. ;)

Shawn said...

Story of my life, always solving the wrong problem. bwahahahaha!