Thursday, August 06, 2009

Paranoid

Lately, I've been sending detailed personal information all over the place. With the house sale and purchase, every time I turn around someone is requesting some sort of personal information. Tax records, social security numbers, account numbers, etc. It was similar when I got my Indian visa, you had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and then mail it and your passport and all the supporting information. And cross your fingers it didn't disappear somewhere along the way. Of course it didn't get lost, but it still freaked me out a little.

It was a toss up whether mailing the passport and supporting information off to a black hole, or faxing 53 pages of tax and bank information to a random fax number was more disconcerting. Logically it should have been tax and bank information since that contained everything you needed to just withdraw our life savings, where as the passport+social security number would have required a bit of work first. But for some reason mailing an important physical thing felt worse.

The thing that is crazy is that there really isn't any reason to have been worried about it. I mean, the chances of my information falling into unintended hands, let alone nefarious hands, seems ridiculously low. But it still gave me a second or two of pause, even if I knew it was stupid to be worried.

No comments: