Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Unexpected Refund

At the closing of our house sale several weeks ago, the final distribution amount was lower then I was expecting. Now to some degree this is expected, at least if you understand how the system works, because everything anyone ever shows you for costs is always qualified as an estimate.

In this case, however, the amount they came up with was about four hundred dollars less then even the high end of all of the estimates combined. Of course I had no paperwork with me at the closing, and even if I did, it would have just been an estimate. But I still was questioning the amount rather strongly.

In the end I was more interested in selling the house then $400 and so I let it go. And by let it go I mean I signed the papers and then bitched to Linzy about it for 20 minutes on the way to the State Fair. That evening I checked our estimates and found to no one's surprise that a bunch of the fees had come in higher then the highest estimates.

Anyways, that was the end of it. Until earlier this week we got mail from the title company containing a check for $372.24 with a hand written note on the check saying 'refund of closing cost overage'. I'm not positive why they audited the account to determine they owed us a refund, but I certainly was glad to take the money back. I barely even mentioned how I had been right about them overcharging us.

1 comment:

Bill Roehl said...

I barely even mentioned how I had been right about them overcharging us.

:-)