Thursday, September 17, 2009

Video Games: Shadow Complex

When we moved out of our house, I was fairly ruthless in determining what would go into storage and what would remain out. Basically the only things that made the cut were my computer, the cameras, seven books, and the XBox 360 and two games. Everything else went into storage.

When I set up the 360, I realized it would not have a network connection. Which isn't a problem in-and-of-itself, but what I didn't consider was the fact that I never bothered to transfer the licenses for all my games to the replacement console after my original one died. As long as you are online, the licenses don't really matter and it is a pita to re-download everything you've ever bought. Which in my case includes an embarrassing amount of Rock Band DLC.

Anyways when I rigged up a temporary way for the console to get online and downloaded all the licenses, I decided I should spend some of the MS points that were burning a hole in my virtual pocket. I was debating between Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex, and after trying both demos I decided on Shadow Complex.

Since then I've really been enjoying the game. If you have any appreciation for Metroidvania games, you will definitely enjoy Shadow Complex. At first I was wierded out by the occasional use of 3D depth for enemies, but eventually it has just become part of the game.

The exploration and secret discovery gameplay is done very well, with a very tolerable amount of backtracking through the map, cool advancements and a steady flow of rewards. I'm probably a little over two thirds complete, and still really enjoying the game. I'm dragging my feet and going for 100% completion since I know that the end is nearing.

I don't have many negative things to say about the game. The timer for running out of breath is a bit aggressive and causes problems if you try to explore around too much early in the game. Also I encountered some minor bugs with the placement of save rooms and respawning enemies if you exit the game and restart.

Overall Shadow Complex is a lot of fun, and thoroughly recommended. Although I should note that I am a known fan of 2D Castlevania (Symphony of the Night, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin being favorites) and Metroid games (Super Metroid in particular).

2 comments:

Brenden said...

You don't say...

Shadow Complex, eh?

Steve Eck said...

I wrote this, more or less, just for you. :)