Monday, March 08, 2010

Exacting Patience

When I was a kid, I loved the concept of the game Mouse Trap. I didn't actually like the game, because it was a bit boring, the contraption never quite worked right, and in general it wasn't as cool in practice as I imagined it to be. Despite the disappointment of Mouse Trap (a game that we didn't own BTW), I still appreciate a good Rube-Goldberg machine. At least in part because I know I would never, ever have the patience to setup something that elaborate over and over again until everything worked flawlessly.

Thus I was extremely impressed tonight by the video for "This Too Shall Pass" by Ok Go. I can't imagine trying to set something like that up and then make all of the timing work perfectly with the song. It just blows my mind, but if you haven't seen the video it is well worth watching:



I also enjoyed the Wired article on how they built it, with some additional behind-the-scenes type videos.

No comments: