Sunday, May 09, 2010

Movies

Not much new to report on at Chez Eck, so I thought I would mention some of the movies we've see since the last time I wrote reviews back at the end of March.

Doomsday: A much worse version of 28 days later. Move along, nothing to see here.

Cypher: This was discovered through Netflix recommendations, and is a sort-of sci-fi distopia sort of picture. Kind of hard to explain, but basically a guy who is unhappy with his life joins a company to act as a spy for them against another company, many twists and turns later you aren't sure who is good, who is bad, etc. It wasn't terrible but also wasn't particularly good. A little slow moving to watch while I was exercising.

The Hurt Locker: I watched this while exercising and enjoyed it. I'm not sure that it was worthy of best picture, but I haven't seen all of the competition. It certainly was entertaining and definitely kept my interest.

Jumper: This wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Now, I was expecting something pretty horrible. I'm not saying it was good, but I have seen far worse (hey, Doomsday, I'm looking at you).

The Hangover: I watched this again while exercising and laughed out loud. I forgot how slow the start is, but it was entertaining even on a second viewing. I also ended up watching the additional features to kill time while I was finishing my workout, and those weren't so funny.

Hitman: Linzy and I both actually thought this was OK. I was expecting her to hate it, and I wasn't sure what to expect since I haven't played any of the games and hadn't seen anything on the film. It was entertaining.

Leverage: Linzy and I watched the first few episodes of this show over the past couple weekends and enjoyed it. I am a sucker for heist movies, so a heist tv-show is right up my alley. Unfortunately it looks like it will be removed from instant stream soon, which means I'll probably not finish watching it.

24: Season 1: This has been my primary entertainment while exercising for many weeks now, and I have three episodes left. I had forgotten why I was such a fan of the show in the early seasons, season 1 has been great. I am likely moving the Wii down to the basement specifically to be able to stream some more recent episodes.

Race to Witch Mountain (remake): I've never seen the original, but watched this with Linzy's parents last weekend. It was mildly amusing. The sci fi convention segment was very funny.

Ninja Assassin: Ninjas - Check. Assassins - Check. Needlessly gory effects - Double Check. Crazy stunts - Check. Awesome fighting and insane weapon work - Double Check. No plot - Check. I ask you: what more could you want?

No comments: