Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Snap, Crackle, Pop

This weekend one morning I went down to the basement to do my exercising. I got everything all set and started off on the elliptical watching the second-to-the-last episode of 24 Season 1. About 5 minutes into it, all of the sudden the TV made a snapping sound and turned off. The second I smelled an electrical burning small I knew that things were not good.

After unplugging it and plugging it back in, when I tried to turn it back on all it did was make crackling and popping sounds over and over. Looking in the back, you could see the electricity arcing inside the TV. I quickly unplugged the TV.

I've looked a bit on the Internet, but can't find much about how to repair a 1999-era Magnavox 32" tube TV. There also appears to be no easy-to-remove panel on the back that would even allow me access to replace or repair parts. The TV has survived several moves, being dropped on it's face, and quite a bit of use between 1999-2006.

But regardless, it looks like another TV purchase is in my future. The current debate is whether I buy one for the basement directly, or if I replace the one in the bedroom with something more appropriate for the larger room we have now. I'm actually quite disappointed as it felt like I was being fiscally responsible by using the old TV in the basement for the four hours a week I am down there, rather then buying some shiny new toy. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

No comments: