Sunday, August 01, 2010

Measuring 'Happy'

This morning in the paper I was reading an article about a Dutch research study that was looking at the 'happiness increase' from planning a vacation and how there was almost no carry over in that happiness after the trip. Coincidentally today Linzy and I finally settled on where we will be taking our fall vacation to this year.

It won't be anywhere as relatively exotic as the past two trips to England and Stockholm; Instead we'll be heading to San Diego. It's been quite a while since I've been there (long enough to be pre-digital camera and pre-blog so I'm not exactly sure when it was), and Linzy has never been there so we are looking forward to it. I'm not sure if buying the tickets (or using frequent flier miles as the case may be) appreciably increased my happiness, but I was definitely glad to have it settled. We had spent a lot of time recently debating where to go.

Linzy's looking forward to the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld, while I'm looking forward to 72 and sunny temperatures and getting to spend time together. Since according to science I'm getting most of my happiness from this whole process now, so I guess I should revel in it while I can.

No comments: