Monday, August 30, 2010

Rush Time Machine Tour

IMG_1826As I mentioned yesterday, the reason we went to the fair on Friday (as opposed to some other day) was that Brenden and I had tickets to see Rush perform at the Grandstand on their Time Machine Tour. I am not a fanatical Rush fan, but I do like many of their songs stretching across several of their musical eras.

The time machine tour in particular was attractive because they would be playing the entirety of their 1981 album Moving Pictures as well as many of their other hits. Four songs on Moving Pictures (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, and YYZ) are among my favorites, and since Rush is well known to put on a good live show I was really excited to see them perform.

Our seats were in row 14 of the 'G' section of the grandstand, which amounted to basically center stage. Because the patio area was fairly large, we were a ways back, but you could definitely see what was going on, on the stage and the huge video screen allowed you to see close-ups of the band members.

The concert itself was awesome. There was no opening act, just three hours of Rush ripping through about 25 songs and most of their hits. Everyone seemed on top of their game, with Alex cranking out crazy solos, Geddy playing terrific bass and Neil Peart living up to his drum god billing. They sounded great, especially after a brief 10-15 minute intermission when they came back to play through Moving Pictures, a few new songs, a few older hits, and an awesome encore.

Oh, and did I mention that during that same second half, Neil Peart also performed one of his trademark eight minute unbelievable drum solos on a rotating three station drum kit. While I enjoyed the whole concert, the second half was in a word: epic.

IMG_1843

When I originally signed up to go to the concert, I wasn't sure what to expect, because there are definitely some of the crazier Rush songs that I don't like as much as the more mainstream progressive rock songs. But I enjoyed everything they played at the concert, and even got a better appreciation for The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, and Vital Signs, the last three songs on Moving Pictures that I normally don't enjoy as much as the first four.

All in all, it was well, well worth the slightly expensive price we paid for our center stage seats as the concert was fantastic. I couldn't have asked for anything else since it amounted to a setlist of all my favorites performed flawlessly. If you have an opportunity to see the Time Machine Tour and are evenly remotely a Rush fan, you should absolutely go see it.

Setlist:
Set 1:

Video Intro (Rash: The Real History of Rush Act 1)
The Spirit of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone
Faithless
BU2B
Freewill
Marathon
Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2:

Video Intro (Rash: The Real History of Rush Act 2)
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
Drum Solo (Love 4 Sale)
Closer to the Heart (with Alex acoustic intro)
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
Far Cry

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato
Working Man
Video Outro (I Still Love You Man)

No comments: