Thursday, September 16, 2010

Special Treatment

Today I got my flu shot, which apparently now includes an H1N1 vaccine in addition to the normal vaccines. It was a bit of a challenge to get it, since my clinic doesn't start flu clinics until next week.

Yesterday Linzy mentioned to me that her mom had passed along a comment from my brother-in-law that a virus was spreading in India. I hadn't heard anything about it, but after looking on the internet I found out that apparently they are having a resurgence of H1N1 in India (or maybe it never left?) and given the huge population it spreads like crazy. Interestingly, I've been getting e-mails two or three times daily about the unrest in Kashmir ever since I booked my trip, but never anything about formerly-pandemic viruses still running rampant.

Unfortunately, finding out last night meant that I had only two days to get the shot and being a cheapskate I didn't want to pay for a minute clinic shot. My first attempt was to send an e-mail to the scheduling department explaining how I was leaving for India on Sunday 9/19 and needed to get a flu shot before going, etc etc.

Surprisingly I had an e-mail back right away in the morning, but it was clear they hadn't even read my mail since it just explained that flu clinics started 9/20. Which, of course, does me no good. So then I called them and got the same answer, until I explained my predicament and lack of desire to: a) get H1N1 in India or b) end up having to get vaccinated in India. After being on hold for 5 minutes I got word that the nurse supervisor had approved my coming in for a shot.

When I arrived for my nurse-only appointment, the first thing she asked was "Are you a XXXX employee?". I asked why and she explained that no one was supposed to be getting flu shots early, not even employees, but my record was marked as approved by and she wanted to know how I had convinced them to approve it. Once she heard the situation, the nurse was like "Yeah, that seems like a good reason".

So the end result was what I wanted, it just took a bit of doing to get there. Plus I got to feel like I was getting special treatment. Which I suppose I was.

No comments: