Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Gangsters

While I was away last week, Linzy discovered that our iTunes account got hacked and promptly drained of the entire balance. Luckily all we had on the account were some gift cards from Christmas, and it wasn't tied to any real credit cards or accounts, but it was still annoying. Linzy contacted Apple and eventually got the credits restored but our account is still disabled at this point.

This problem seems to be going around, as my parents' account was compromised earlier this summer, and there has been quite a bit of coverage about the problems securing Apple accounts.

What I don't understand is that this seems like a trivial problem to solve. After all, my account has only a limited number of 'authorized' computers and devices associated with it, to allow any DRM'd content to play. Couldn't they just add an option that says my account is only allowed to have purchases made from that limited set of devices (i.e. my phone, Linzy's phone, my computer at home, etc), and only those devices can approve new authorized devices. Problem solved. Sure it would be annoying if I wanted to buy something from some other computer without authorizing it, but that doesn't seem like anything I would need to do even on a rare basis. And the rest of the time my account would be nice and safe.

Most sites don't have the luxury of knowing where you will be accessing them from, but Apple does. So why are they allowing gangsters to drain my account?

No comments: