Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tight Schedule

Last week I was in San Jose for work, enjoying their glorious weather while Minnesota had 60 mile an hour winds and then snow. Of course, since it was days filled with all day meetings, I'm exaggerating the weather enjoyment. But walking to and from the car each day was nice I guess.

My flight home on Thursday was scheduled for 6:30am, which would have gotten back to Minneapolis around 12:00 or 12:30. So I dutifully got up at 4:40am and made my way to airport for the early morning flight. After about an hour on the plane, we still hadn't taken off and I started to wonder what was up. After about another 30 minutes of troubleshooting they determined that some part had failed and so we all had to get off the plane.

Now the flight was completely full and since Delta has a limited presence in San Jose they had only a few gate agents and even fewer flight options for an entire plane full of people trying to make connections. After standing in line for about 30 minutes (and not having moved hardly at all) they announced a new part would be coming in with a plane from Salt Lake and our flight wouldn't be canceled. In the meantime a phone call to our travel agency had switched the tickets over to a flight going through LA and home by 5:30.

With the part arriving around 10am, the original flight was supposed to get home about 3:30, so another phone call switched back to the original flight. And my co-workers and I went for some breakfast and crossed our fingers the part would actually fix the plane.

A little after 10am we started filing onto the plane again, after the captain had verified the fix. Of course at that point we were so far off schedule we got delayed taking off from San Jose and landing in Minneapolis, so we didn't actually get in until about 4:15 or 4:30.

That left me just enough time to get home at 5:15pm, leave again for a quick dinner out, and make it to our birthing class from 6:30-9pm. The whole agreement for this last minute trip to San Jose was that I would be back in time to go to the class, so I was pretty nervous that all of the delays were going to make me miss it. Luckily they didn't, but it ended up being a pretty long day even though all I didn't do much.

2 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

and make it to our birthing class from 6:30-9pm.

I'm assuming many congratulations are in order?

Steve Eck said...

We're due in early December. Thanks!